.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

IDD 480 - Decisions...decisions...

Decisions. Decisions. Life is full of decisions. What to have for dinner…what to wear for the day…what a portfolio should look like. Given that I really don’t put all that much thought into dinner or outfits…putting together a nice looking portfolio can take a good amount of my time.

So, once I figured (well I didn’t have much choice) that I would make a portfolio. So many more decisions had to be carefully thought-out in order to pull it off. I’m creating my portfolio using Photoshop and Dreamweaver, but those two only scratch the surface with all of the different outlets for web design. Some people may prefer to have a pre-made template website by using Yahoo! GeoCities. Those two examples of course are just a small sampling of what is available to the potential web builder.

And then once the template or whatnot is decided upon another decision comes into play…whether or not the website will be static or with more of an interactive spin. Each has their own pros and cons and can be catered to many different people with different skill levels.

Once a website design is initiated and decided upon it is always good to have a different media on which to display the portfolio. These formats can be a PDF format or DVD or even slideshow. I decided (look, another decision) to make a PDF of my portfolio. I’ve started. Didn’t get very far, but I have started…we’ll see how it goes.

Which brings us to another point in chapter 10 of Designing a Digital Portfolio. The metaphor. What will my portfolio say? Will it convey, “Here is what I can do for you” eh…probably not, maybe though. Most likely just “Hi, here’s what I made.” Nice, short, and sweet. Just like (hopefully) my portfolio will turn out to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home